|Born - 04 Apr 1875 - St Ives, Hunts
|Census New - The Quadrant, St Ives, age 16, Grocer - 5 Apr 1891 - St Ives, Hunts
|Married - 17 May 1898 - All Saints, St Ives, Hunts
|Census New - 2 Ivo Villas, Needingworth Road, St Ives, age 25, grocer's assistant - 31 Mar 1901 - St Ives, Hunts
|Census New - East Street, St Ives, age 37, grocer - 2 Apr 1911 - St Ives, Hunts
|1939 Register - 4 East Street, St Ives, grocer & provision merchant; plus two closed entries - 29 Sep 1939 - St Ives, Hunts
|Died - 06 Feb 1946 - St Ives, Hunts
|Buried - 09 Feb 1946 - Broadleas Cemetery, St Ives, Hunts
|Newspaper Report - HUNTS POST: PROMINENT ST IVES TRADER. Death of Mr "Dick" Culpin. Prominent St Ives grocer and former Town Councillor, Mr Albert "Dick" Culpin, 4 East St, passed away on Wednesday after a prolonged illness at the age of 70.
A native of St Ives and fourth son of the late Mr E [sic] Culpin, blacksmith of the Quadrant, he did not follow his father's business but was apprenticed to the grocery trade with the late Mr J Johnson. Later he started to trade on his own account and successfully conducted the business for the past 40 years.
At the request of many townspeople, Mr Culpin offered himself as a Ratepayers' Association Candidate for the Town Council Election of 1933, when controversy raged over the purchase of "Stanley House" as a town hall. He was elected and did invaluable work as Chairman of the Park Committee amongst other duties. On medical advice however, he did not contest the 1938 election.
Mr Culpin was the Hon. Sec. for the Addenbrooke's Hospital Scheme at St Ives for several years and as a younger man was in the forefront of any effort for the Hunts and Cambridge Hospitals. Many will remember the popular "6d Pops" which the late Mr Dick Turner ran when Mayor and in which Mr Culpin took such a big lead. He was a prominent Odd Fellow and a former trustee of the St Ives Lodge.
He was married to Miss Florence Measures at St Ives Parish Church in 1898, and is survived by his widow and three daughters. As a churchman, few worked harder than he for the Restoration of the church after one of our own aeroplanes crashed into the steeple in 1918, a disaster which meant the raising of some thousands of pounds in addition to the Government grant. During the 1914-18 war he served with the L.D.V. and as far as health would permit did service during the World War II as a member of the Observer Corps.
He loved all forms of sport, especially football. He was a Town Club player as a young man.
A large congregation attended the funeral service conducted by the Rev D Marsh at the Parish Church on Saturday. Mr H J Halton was the organist; the music included the hymns "Abide with Me" and "On the Resurrection Morning". "O rest in the Lord" (Elijah) was played as the cortege left the church.
The chief mourners were Mrs Culpin (widow), Mr & Mrs G James, Miss I Culpin, Mr & Mrs R Anderson (sons-in-law and daughters), Mr D James (grandson), Mr H Culpin, Ely (brother), Mrs C Culpin, Swavesey (sister-in-law), Mrs Smart, Swavesey, Mrs McDermott, Fen Drayton (nieces), Mr A Culpin, Swavesey, Mr W Robb, St Ives, Mr W Barratt, Cambridge (nephews), Mr F Curtis, Swavesey, Mr G Thomas, Gloucs, Mrs G Brookbanks, Mr & Mrs G Avery, PC & Mrs A Mason, Mr & Mrs Uteridge, Miss Dring (friends). Owing to illness Mr & Mrs J Culpin (brother & sister-in-law) and Mrs Freeman (sister) were unable to be present.
Among those present were The Mayor (Coun EG Holmes), Rev HS Newill, Mr W Wood Horn, Mr & Mrs HG Stiles, Mr GL Day, Mr D Caulton, Mr & Mrs H Clements, Mr H Jude, Mr J Bryant, Messrs H & E Bull, Mr G Darlow, Mr M Radford, Mr C Rowell, Mr & Mrs W Brunning, Mr H Whaley, Mr F Standen, Messrs A & J Anderson, Mr H Radford, Mr H Hammond, Mr HA Savory, Mr PD Fenton, Mr A Radford, Mr JS Main, Mr R Eaton, Mr AB Ulph, Mr A Laurie, Mr G Harrison, Mr W Furniss, Mr WH Gotobed, Mr G Hill, Mr F Dew, Mr G Wandsworth.
Mr & Mrs GP Radford, Mrs WR Grove, Mr R French, Mr F Palmer, Mr & Mrs R Stiles, Mr & Mrs Murkett, Mr & Mrs P Childs, Mrs G Brown, Mr JW Hatchett, Mr East, Miss L Radford, Mr R Churchyard, Mr & Mrs E Binks, Mr & Mrs Cornwell, Mr G Jacob, Messrs AC Smith, D Reynolds & J Viles (representing the Odd Fellows), Mrs Musson, Mrs Tanner, Miss Hunt, Mr W Cooper, Mrs Ivory, Mrs W Smith, Mrs W Holmes, Mrs WB Mason, Mrs H Holmes, Mrs Fisher, Mrs Ward, Mrs H Saint, Mrs E Gurrey, Mrs J Smith, Mrs Spolton.
Mrs James, Mrs L Dellar, Mrs H Anderson jnr, Mrs E Anderson jnr, Mrs C Longland, Nurse Heath and Miss Heath, Mrs Harris, Miss Wilson, Mrs Dicks, Miss Staden, Mrs Tinker, Mrs Benton, Mrs Howse, Mrs and Miss Lines, Mrs Dunster, Mrs Whitbread, Mr & Mrs Rendall, Mrs J Moore, Mr H Cotton, Mrs Softly, Mrs G Adams, Mrs W Noble, Mrs F Arnold, Mrs Frith, Mrs Cockle, Mrs Everitt.
Mrs Cross, Mrs Porter, Mrs J Denton, Mrs Shipp, Mrs Coates, Mrs C Ward, Mrs Hall, Miss Varley, Mrs Toller, Mrs Wales, Mrs Golding, Mrs Warrington, Mrs Walker, Mr A Golding, Mr W Bailey, Mrs Guinevan, Mr Fairbloom, Mrs Wright (Huntingdon).
In addition to family wreaths, there were a large number of floral tributes.
- 14 Feb 1946 - St Ives, Hunts