|NOTE - Red Range was established in 1854. Four years earlier, George Kempton and his wife Harriet had come to Australia from Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, to make a new home for themselves. In 1854 he made his first selection, "Rock Valley", on the (now) Red Range Road along the Mann River. A few years later, he made a second choice, a block of land he called "Splitters Home" at the site later to become Red Range. Within a few years the village grew to consist of a church, a few houses, a general store and a school, surrounded by peppermint bushes.
The little slab cottage next to the shop was built around this time and was later used to store produce for the shop. The cottage-like appearance is more recent and had resembled a barn for most of its life. It was built of pit-sawn vertical slabs and given a snow roof, typical of the buildings of that time and altitude.
- 1854 - Red Range, New South Wales, Australia
|Married - 29 Apr 1855 - Holy Trinity, Ely, Cambs